My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 34 Sarria

A quiet but interesting day on the Camino. Since only a minimum of 100 km is required to receive a Compostela, Sarria is where many of the organized tour groups begin. The organizer buses your group to the start, transports the luggage, arranges for some meals and hotels, so the pilgrim only has to walk with a light day pack. My little hotel had a group of 12 Koreans at breakfast, who all set off in a minivan, probably avoiding the steep walk through town. As I left the hotel about 9, a load of about 40 pilgrims exited a large bus; they are Spanish, and appear to be divided into 3 smaller groups, each  with a leader and flag.  At the edge of town, a man in a  kilt gave a short presentation in Spanish. After everyone left, I asked him what it was about: he represents the first Celtic King who colonized Galicia. Before  the Christian Pilgrimage which began in the 900's, the Celts had many sacred sites which were visited and revered. Note the replica Iron Age boots he is wearing; not too comfortable or good for walking.

Coffee was later enjoyed at the King Alfonso IX, the local high end hotel named after  the eponymous King who ruled Galicia in 1230. The statue of him doesn't look so happy, but it does show the existing stone tower at his feet.  Along with my coffee, I thoroughly enjoyed my guilty pleasure and luxury item, my Kindle. So far, I have devoured 10 books. Now you know one of my secrets for what to do on an otherwise empty afternoon.

Tomorrow begins the last push, I should be in Santiago by Tuesday. Yippee!














2 comments:

  1. Oh you took some books this time ! And so nice and small. I'm sure that was a wonderful addition to your gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have more books than I can read; just finishing a giant Ken Follett novel, 2 more in the series. A real treat!

    ReplyDelete