My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Day 25 Leon to San Martin del Camino

16.1 miles. Yikes! But no problem. I chose the less interesting 'short cut' to Astorga, which allows me to arrive there in 2 days, rather than the 3 I was planning. Leaving Leon, you have to walk over the railroad tracks and under a freeway, The path was generally adjacent  to a road, but since today is Sunday, there isn't much traffic. An interesting sight as you walk out of the suburbs of Leon, is the many wine caves built into the sides of the  hills. The little villages appear much more prosperous than the ones I walked through on the more scenic alternate route on my last trip. It appears that having a road to and from more major centers makes a difference. I passed a semi ruined church with several very large stork nests; these are quite common, but not so easy to photograph. The storks are seen throughout Spain; they fly to Africa for the winter. In the same village was a large grove of trees with many bird nests, black birds, possibly crows.

My activity this afternoon is watching the clothes dry. One more day on the Meseta, and then the scenery will really change as the foothills are entered and then the mountains.








No comments:

Post a Comment