My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Day 20 Carrion de los Condes to Terradillos de Templarioa

16.7 miles. Yikes! So much for my short day. Today is The long section of 10.5 miles, with absolutely no services or water; about 7 miles are on a Roman road. The fascinating part of the story, is there are  no rocks for roadbed in the area, so the Romans had to find the rocks, then haul thousands of tons to buildup the road over the existing marsh. In our modern times, the road bed is original, still built up about 3' higher than the fields, and the top is fine gravel.

I ran into the Canadian couple at the first coffee bar. Mark has horrible blisters, but still planned on walking the final 6 miles to Terradillos. I suggested he change out of his boots to his spare shoes, which he did, and was able to mosey on along. I figured if he can walk more with bad feet, then I need to change my attitude and move along also. They recommended this nice albergue just before Terradillos, where I have my own, very simple room. Dinner and breakfast is available, so all is good.

Since there is not local rock or trees for lumber, the Meseta is the land of adobe villages. Brick is also used in construction, but many of the houses appear to be adobe covered with stucco, others are old fashioned adobe walls.

I am now ready to finish the Meseta; it is like walking the prairie with the constant wind. However, it was another cool, lovely day, perfect for a long walk. Tomorrow will be a short walk, then two more moderate days and I am in Leon. Progress!








1 comment:

  1. Fabulous photos! You seem to be the Good Samaritan along the way🌿

    ReplyDelete