My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Day 14 Atapureca to Burgos

13 miles. Except for the big, rocky hill outside Atapureca, today was an easy walk. However, most of it was walking on the side of a secondary road, or on comcrete sidewalks or pavement. Once you are on the road into Burgos from the suburbs, it is a 4.5 mile walk into the historic center. 

I am in a lovely old hotel with slanted wooden floors. Upon the advice of the clerk, I treated myself to a recommended local restaurant with local specialities, one of which is morcilla or blood sausage, NOT! But I did have a delicious Castellano Garlic Soup, a slow braised lamb shank served on the bone in a hot cazuela, dessert and another bottle of wine. Here it is obvious what they do with the leftover wine: simply refill the bottle. Anyway, it was a real treat and a wonderful meal. And recalling the Princess concept, I worked hard for this, and I deserve it!

The photos show: a stone labyrinth on the top of the hill, a sign exclaiming of the beautiful view, the beginning of the little villages I will walk through, the industrial outskirts of Burgos, for my Soroptimists friends ... Sex on the Beach is available in a tiny bar, no I didn't have any, a shopping area, bronze statues, historic area, the local restaurant with soup and main courses, the huge medieval gate one would enter, looking to the side of the gate, and best of all, the fabulous gothic cathedral just inside.

Tomorrow I get to explore more of this lovely city.




















2 comments:

  1. The views are spectacular! I remember last time you spent time in Burgos. It looks like a great city to visit. You and I differ on the choice to leave the Sex on the Beach on the shelf. You KNOW if it were Stephanie and I we would have to sample!
    Have fun with the journey, Jill. Look forward to more beautiful photos and stories of your travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll never guess what the Hawaiian word of the day is? Hana hou - which means encore. As you are on your encore pilgrimage. Loving the photos and your journaling.

    ReplyDelete