My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Day 18 Castrojeriz to Fromista

15.6 miles. A great day, cold and breezy in the morning, with sun and warming in the late morning. Leaving Castrojeriz, you pass over a Roman Causeway which has a new decomposed granite path laid over the top. Then it is up the big hill for 3/4 of a mile and a 12% (steep) grade. There is a nice flat walk, then straight down the other side where I met up with the Canadian couple. He is managing his blisters, and as he said 'no one likes a whiny pilgrim.' I had a pleasant walk and talk with them all the way to Castrojeriz. The 2 Irish ladies are staying at this same hostal, as well as 2 American ladies from North Carolina. The Irish are walking wounded, but going home tomorrow, and one of the Americans has very sore feet so will be staying an extra day here. I had a wonderful healthy lunch about 3.  I will join my new American friends for a glass of wine this evening.

The big thing to see here is the Church of St Martin, built in classic Romanesque style, a National Landmark, built in 1066!

It has been another wonderful  day with mild weather and breathtaking  views.  My body is holding up beautifully, I have no complaints. What a huge difference to greet spring with cool to mild temperatures vs  summer and the dry fields and the brain melting heat!










2 comments:

  1. Hi: I have been a way for a few days so I was looking forward to catching up with your travels. They sure look great. You are doing terrific. Thanks for all the pictures and wonderful narrative.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terry, I appreciate all the 'atta girl' feedback. Although I am tired, tomorrow I will get up and do it all over again!

      Delete