My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day 27 Astorga to Foncebaddon

16 miles. Another beautiful day on the Camino. The adobe houses of the Meseta are gone, and now the villages have substantial stone buildings. The walk has been a slow ascent up the mountain, with the path becoming steep and rocky the last 4 miles. My original plan was to stop in Rabanal, but the forecast tomorrow is for possible rain and thunder showers, so I am eager to cross and get off the mountain. I am in a tiny village which is coming back to life  due to the Camino and the many Pilgrims. Surprisingly enough I even have my own very simple room vs, the albergue I was expecting.

I walked with my British friend, Terry, for awhile this afternoon, then ran into him again at the only place here that has WiFi. I met an American young woman yesterday, and talked with her again today; she has a most compelling story. Her mother was killed by a drunk driver 3 years ago, and her birthday is Friday. She always wanted to walk the Camino, so her daughter is walking and scattering her ashes along the way. This is a real life version of the motivation of Martin Sheen in the movie, 'The Way.'








No comments:

Post a Comment