My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Book: "Haley Walks 200 Miles on the Camino de Santiago"


Haley, age 12

Haley Walks 200 Miles on the Camino de Santiago


Over the course of my journey, I came realize that the Camino is a greatly condensed version of life. The Pilgrim quickly learns to appreciate any kindness, and to realize how little we really need in this world. My thoughts percolated for a few months after returning, then I resolved to tell and illustrate the very simple story of the Camino through the eyes of a 12 year old girl walking from Leon to Santiago with the guidance of her very wise, favorite Auntie.




As Haley completed her journey she made a series of discoveries about herself:


Haley's Compostela
"Auntie and I talked about why she wanted me to experience this journey and what I learned. While walking on the Camino with only what little I could carry on my back, I discovered the journey is really about life: my needs became quite simple, being reduced to finding water, shelter, and lastly food; the support of family and friends makes everything possible; I am surprisingly tough and strong physically and mentally; and I must stop occasionally, look back, and appreciate how far I have come. In addition, I found that if I open my heart and mind, help will arrive when needed: with directions, water, a bed, or a kind word from strangers who don’t even speak my language.

My first night in León , the label on my water bottle at the restaurant had this quote written in English: “Magic Places exist. Sometimes only in our dreams. Sometimes, and only sometimes, we have the immense fortune to find them within our reach”
It was truly a Buen Camino! AND an adventure of a lifetime.


Walking back into the Plaza the fading sun lit the buildings and the cathedral with a lovely soft, yellow glow. The Plaza moved with contented Pilgrims; it was magical. And Haley embraced the magic with her Auntie by her side."


Selected Illustrations


Haley in an albergue
Menu boards outside a bar




Sharing the crowded Camino with a tractor







Haley Walks 200 Miles on the Camino de Santiago is a soft cover book of 36 pages, available on Amazon.com. It was personally written, illustrated with watercolor paintings, then laid out in book form using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. It is suitable for ages 7 - 14; I am pleased that it has received 5 star ratings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment