My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Day 3 Pamplona to Puente la Reina

15 miles today! Yikes! When you look at the photo of the altitude chart, you see a BIG hill to climb over. Not easy, but I got it done! Today has been cold with light rain until about 10, then high winds most of the rest of the walk. Fortunately, the wind was at my back, so it helped move me along. Although my hands got cold when my gloves were wet, the rest of me stayed warm and dry.

Leaving Pamplona, the trail is mostly gentle down until Cizur Menor, then the big hill begins, gentle at first, then steep at times, frequently quite muddy with standing pools covering the trail, sometimes water sheeting down the trail like a stream. There is so much low cloud cover or rain, you can't see the big hill; the next photo is from about 2/3 of the way up, you see the big wind turbines on top. And of course, the metal sculptures of the old pilgrims. The way down is steep, covered in loose stones and more water and mud.

Once off the mountain, you walk through rolling fields of probably wheat, flowering mustard, and legumes, and up and through 3 hilltop villages. Today is the first day of spring , so the blackberries have leafed out, the almonds are flowering, and fat buds on the trees and shrubs will unfurl new leaves tomorrow.

Looking back at the mountain, you can barely see the wind turbines through the clouds. The final photo on the next post shows my dirty pants and boots that had been cleaned off before  coming into this small hotel.

Tomorrow should be an easier day. The good news is I have the right gear for the weather, and all my lengthy walks including some steep hills has paid off. I am tired, but not exhausted.

Although I can't respond to everyone, I love hearing from you.






No comments:

Post a Comment