My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 4 Puenta la Reina to Estella

13.6 miles today, light rain in the am, 10 Celsius (cold), and it didn't warm up much all day. Today we start and end with a beautiful medieval bridge, the famous bridge leaving Puentla Reina, and the one into Estella. The walk was beautiful, with much less mud than yesterday. The difficulty is in the length, but also the quite steep ups and downs to and from the 3 villages I walked through and all the hills in between. When you see a lovely landacape, just think of the hill to be climbed to get that view.

The most iconic village is Cirauqui, compact and striking on its hill. It has twisty narrow steep streets, and on the way out of town you walk on a 2000 year old Roman road and cross a Roman bridge. Pretty unbelievable.

Today is Sunday, so everything is closed. Which means no coffe or snacks or bathrooms. Fortunately, I have some food with me, so was able to eat a little during the walk. Coming into Estella, over the steep bridge, I probably walked another mile trying to find a place to stay. The pensiones either don't exist, are closed, or not open yet for the season. I walked into. 4* hotel I saw, no one answered the bell or my calls, so after a few minutes I left. I am now staying at the municipal albergue, which I was trying to avoid. This is when you develop a Pilgrim attitude, where you are greatful for all things. It is pretty grim, but it is a bed. I chose the 2nd floor, thinking the room probably won't fill up. The space has about 12 bunk beds which I will share with whoever shows up. My clothes are clean, but they may not dry overnight, which is a problem I will deal with tomorrow.

The rocky path in one of the last photos, is not uncommon, which makes for difficult walking. Most of the way today was on nice flat paths that generally go straight up and down the constant hills.

While on the Camino, I am doing this blog on my iPhone, using local free WiFi, so if things are a little wonky, that is why.

1 comment: