My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 5 Estella to Los Arcos

13.6 miles today, but the big news is the weather: 1*C today leaving town, and it probably didn't rise above the low 40's, continuing light rain, and SNOW last night!  The scenery is beautiful, especially the snow on the blooming shrubs and trees. And the snow didn't melt off during the day.

The walk today was no problem except for all the water. The ditches are full, a stream was pouring across the trail, parts of the farm roads were flooded, several areas with small ponds across the road. The worst experience  was having to detour around the pond by walking over a full drainage ditch, then about 50' through the wheat in about 1" running water. Even though the rain is light, it has been constant all day. Somehow I have managed to stay warm and reasonably dry until towards the end. I think the poncho and rain jacket sweat, so eventually everything becomes damp or wet. Even my waterproof boots are damp inside; perhaps there is just too much walking through standing water today, as well as the rain.

My clothes did dry last night; the heat came on at 6pm, so I used some radiators as clothes lines. I ended up alone (yippee) iny little cubicle of 2 bunk beds, and there only ended up being 7 of us in the room, one of whom was a champion snorer. Met a Swedish lady who is walking 20 - 25 miles a day; makes me look like a slacker. Also found out how two other ladies dry their clothes: they don't wash them. I have one change of clothes, wash one, wear and then sleep in the clean ones. They have a T shirt and shorts for sleeping, then put back on what they wore yesterday. It was a 2 blanket night, and the heat goes off sometime in the middle of the night, which makes for a chilly morning.

Tonight I am in a small pensione, so far I am the only one here. I have my own radiator AND heated towel bar and WiFi, so I am a happy camper!

Love all your comments, it keeps me connected and not alone.







1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that you have enough energy to post! I would just collapse in bed! Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete