My walk is dedicated to Soroptimist Scholarships. Your generous contribution will support a local woman attending a 4 year college and a woman completing her PhD dissertation.

*Please send your check in any amount to:

Soroptimist International of Vacaville

PO Box 6054

Vacaville CA 95696-6054

*or donate online: http://www.gofundme.com/jillwalks500miles

Monday, February 23, 2015

She is doing what? Again?

Successful Completion! October 5, 2011







A 500 mile walk, especially solo, is a huge physical and mental challenge. Although I said I would never repeat my 2011 walk on the Camino de Santiago, my approaching 70th birthday changed my mind ... entering a new decade demands a significant celebration.  Last spring I made the decision to challenge myself on this walk again, but this time make some significant changes in the timing of the walk, my physical conditioning, and creature comforts.










To help keep me moving, I am again requesting pledges to support women in higher education. A pledge of a penny a mile is only $5, a dime a mile is $50, and $1 a mile is $500.  Since my profession of dentistry has prepared me to have a successful career and be of service to others, my passion is helping make all levels of higher education available to deserving women. Donations in any amount can be made to Soroptimist International of Vacaville; 100% of the dollars raised support scholarships. More information about this very worthy project will be posted separately.

Mansilla de las Mulas, September 11, 2011
My journey will begin in March, thus avoiding the horrific 105+ degree heat that occurred for 2/3 of my previous walk. I don't tolerate the heat well, and it was very difficult to remain hydrated, so at times I was uncomfortably close to a heat stroke. This time, the weather will be cool, it may be cold, may snow, and will probably rain buckets at times. The cold/wet should be easier for me to tolerate than the heat. Over the 500 miles, I averaged about 12 miles a day, with my longest day at 19 miles. We'll see what this year brings.

Loaded Backpack with Trekking Poles
Arriving in Madrid, my first stop will be a local hotel, not a train ride and taxi to my starting point as in 2011. The next day will be a bus departing from the airport to Pamplona, then another bus or taxi to Roncesvalles. This avoids 2 transfers on the Metro to the train station and provides a good rest before the walk begins.

Since I have paid my dues as a Pilgrim on the first journey, this time I am resolved to stay at some historic inns along the way; having a private room and bath is a wonderful thing. I will still be staying in some pilgrim albergues (special dormitory type accommodations available only to pilgrims) with communal sleeping arrangements, unisex bathrooms down the hall, and snoring or noisy pilgrims using the bathroom and rising at 4 am.

I have been exercising and dieting for almost a year, and am proud to report I weigh a little less than I did at the finish of the walk in 2011. Previously I lost 25 pounds before the walk, and 25 pounds during the walk. Walking 500 miles and eating very little in order to lose weight is no longer a factor; having real food in normal quantities should go a long way to making the entire journey more comfortable.

I have new boots, and new, much smaller clothes. The pack will again be a maximum of 13 pounds with the fanny pack / water / guide book carried in the front to help balance the weight.

I am relying on my family and friends to encourage me as I mosey along. As I again make this journey alone, your words are vitally important; as a sympathetic shoulder, an "Atta Girl" and proof that I am truly not alone. I welcome all your comments. Please share the link to this blog with anyone who might be interested in my cause and my journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment